Legends of America

Follow the links to the various pages of Legends of America

The Old West Legends of America Outhouse Madness Ghostly Legends Outlaws Old West Saloons Rocky Mountain General Store Legends Photo Store The Book Store Make your travel reservations here! Route 66 Native Americans The Old States - Back East

Legends of America    |    Legends General Store    |    Legends Photo Shop

 

Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter PageLegends on Pinterest

Legends Home

Site Map

What's New!!

 

Content Categories:

American History

Destinations-States

Ghost Stories

Ghost Towns

Historic People

Legends & Myths

Native Americans

Old West

Photo Galleries

Route 66

Travel Center

Treasure Tales

 

   Search Our Sites

Custom Search

Google

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Facebook Page

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Site Map

Writing Credits

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

 

Legends' General Store


Old West/Western

Route 66

Native American

Featured Items

Sale Items

Books/Magazines

CD's - DVD's

Nuwati Herbals

Personalized-Engraved
Postcards

Wall Art

Custom Products

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legends' Photo Prints

Legends Photo Prints and Downloads
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

States, Cities & Places

Nostalgic Prints

Photo Art Prints

Jim Hinckley's America

David Fisk (Lens of Fisk)

Specials-Gift Ideas

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

Family Friendly Site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
Rodney - Page 3

<<  Previous  1 2 3  Next  >>

 

USS Rattler drawing by F. Muller, aboutt 1900When word of the prisoners reached the Rattler, the gunboat bombarded the town and the church, which, at that time was only about 300 yards from the Mississippi River. However, when the Confederate commander, Lieutenant Allen, sent word that if the shelling did not stop, all prisoners would be hanged, the Union ceased the shelling, but not before the church and four homes were hit. One of the cannon balls was imbedded in the front of the church. By 1:30 p.m. the initial excitement had passed and Rattler again lay at anchor, but, now in deep water. Afterwards, the crew of the Rattler became the laughingstock of the nation, for it was the first time in history a small squad of cavalry captured the crew of an ironclad gunboat. After this attack, citizens of Rodney formed Company D. 22nd Mississippi infantry to fight against the Union army and the Union sympathizing Reverend Baker soon left the area. Some months later Captain Fentress and his men were exchanged for captured Rebel soldiers and resumed their Navy service at other posts.

 

In September, 1864, Union troops were sent from Vicksburg to destroy a reported Confederate troop concentration at Rodney. Landing here, the Union infantry regiment plundered almost every house in town. Later that same year, the USS Rattler was hit by a heavy gale near Grand Gulf, Mississippi on December 30th driving her ashore and causing her to strike a snag and sink. Though her crew survived, the gunboat was a total loss. After being abandoned by the U.S. Navy, she was burned by the Confederates.

 

Though Rodney and the surrounding area had been spared any great battles, the Civil War left its mark, as the land was stripped of food, livestock, and slaves by Union troops. Reconstruction further stripped away the prosperity of Rodney, as well as much of the south. The Civil War would spell the beginning of the end for this once thriving port city.

 

Some; however, retained hope for the future and in 1868, the Catholics built the Sacred Heart Church, an outstanding example of carpenter Gothic architecture, with its board and batten siding, heavy label moldings and wooden pinnacles. The church no longer stands in Rodney today, as it was moved to Grand Gulf Military Park in 1884.

 

Just a year after the Catholic church was built in Rodney, the town was almost entirely consumed by a fire; but, obviously the Sacred Heart Church was spared. One witness of the fire, an officer aboard the steamer Richmond, described the blaze:

 

"Wednesday night, shortly after we left Vicksburg, a bright light was observed in the southern horizon. All manner of speculation was rife on board concerning the cause and as the light grew nearer and nearer the interest grew in proportion. At last after several hours of eager watching we bore in sight of the beautiful Town of Rodney and lo, we beheld it the object of the wrath of the fire king. The whole village was wrapped in a mantle of flames and as at two o'clock in the morning our boat glided swiftly down along the other shore, the scene was grand beyond description, lit up as it was by the lurid lights from burning buildings, mingled with the moon's pale beams."

 

In the meantime, a greater "disaster" was forthcoming for Rodney. A large sand bar had formed in the nearby Mississippi River, causing the grand waterway to alter its course in about 1870. With the river now two miles west of Rodney, the town obviously lost its port. With many of its buildings destroyed by the fire of 1869 and its river commerce gone, many people left the area. Rodney's population further declined when it was bypassed by the Natchez, Jackson & Columbus Railroad that reached nearby Fayette, Mississippi. With its citizens poor, it was too late for Rodney.

 

 

A cannonball embedded in the Rodney Presbyterian ChurchIn 1923, the last full-time pastor of the Presbyterian Church resigned leaving behind a congregation of just 16 people; although church services probably continued intermittently for several years. In 1966, the church was conveyed to the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Two years later, Mississippi appropriated funds for the restoration. It was added to the National Register of Historic places 1973. It continues to stand in Rodney today, surrounded by a multitude of historic signs. The front facade of the church displays a cannon ball above the upper middle window. Though this is not the original cannonball that hit the building in 1863, it is an authentic ball of the period, placed during restoration, at the spot where the church was originally hit. Today, the exterior of one of the oldest churches in the state is once again deteriorating due to flooding in 2011 and lack of funding.

 

Though a number of people still lived in Rodney in 1930, its life as an "official" town came to a permanent end by an executive proclamation Governor Theodore Bilbo.

 

Rodney's Sacred Heart Catholic Church now sits in Grand Gulf Military ParkBy 1933, the population of Rodney had diminished to less than 100 and by 1957, only seven congregation members remained at the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. In February, 1969, the property was conveyed to the Rodney Foundation, Inc. by the Catholic Diocese of Natchez-Jackson. However, by 1982, the foundation found it was unable to restore and maintain the building, and donated it to the state of Mississippi. A year later, the church was moved to the Grand Gulf Military Park, where it stands today. The central tower no longer retains its original pinnacles and wooden crenellation; however, it was completely restored. The interior is finished with simple plaster walls, and wooden ceiling and floor. It is open today for visitors of the park and continues to be as a non-denominational chapel by religious and other groups approved by the park. In 1894, the church was the setting for the christening of the future Most Reverend Bishop Charles P. Greco, Bishop of the Diocese of Alexandria (Louisiana). Bishop Greco was the first Mississippian to become a Roman Catholic Bishop.

 

Rodney RoadThe last church to be actively used was the 1850 Baptist Church. Though still standing, its interior was virtually destroyed by the floods in 2011. The small town of Rodney still supports just a handful of citizens and a number of its original buildings. The Rodney Center Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Some of the homes have been maintained or restored, and continue to be utilized as homes today. However, there are no remaining businesses in this small town. The Opera House, town hall, and other major commercial buildings have long disappeared. However, a two-story red brick commercial building continues to stand, as well as the old Alston Grocery Store. This business, operated by the Alston family since 1915, was probably the last to close. More buildings remain in various stages of decay or have completely fallen to the ground, and are overgrown with trees and brush.

 

Today, there is only one serviceable road in and out of Rodney. From Alcorn, highway M-558 dead-ends at the once bustling river port town. The final three miles are dirt and gravel.

 

The Rodney Town Cemetery is located on the wooded bluff behind the Presbyterian church. Abandoned and overgrown today, it not only contains the remains of locals, but also the graves of river travelers, and folks from Saint Joseph, Louisiana, across the river from Rodney. Many of the graves our enclosed in rusting ornate wrought-iron fences. Here, can also be found the traces of Confederate Civil War trenches which overlook the old river bed. These defenses once gave a commanding view of the area and the river.

 

Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, March, 2013

 

 

Also See:

Zachary Taylor - Distinguished General & President

Grand Gulf - A Bustling Port Along the River

Mississippi River and the Expansion of America

Mississippi (main page)

Civil War (main page)

Mississippi Photo Print Galleries

Rodney, Mississippi Commercial Building

A two-story red brick commercial building still stands, Kathy Weiser, February, 2013.

 

The old the old Alston Grocery Store in Rodney, Mississippi

The old the old Alston Grocery Store in Rodney, Mississippi Kathy Weiser, February, 2013.

 

<<  Previous  1 2 3  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

Historic documents,  books, and images on CD and DVD.

History-Travel Tech - See hundreds of historic documents and travel videos on DVD and CD. From vintage films, to antique book collections, historic maps, old time radio shows, and more, there is something here for every history buff. From the American Revolution to the Civil War an onward to the Atomic Age; from Native Americans to American Presidents; from Oregon to Florida, and everything in between, you're sure find something you will enjoy or will be the perfect gift. These products can be very useful for geneology research, home-schooling, historical fact finding, and just pure entertainment.

 

Antique Books on CD

Antique Books

Discoveries America DVD Series

Discoveries America

 Historical Documents on CD & DVD

Historical Documents

Historic Maps on CD - Made in the USA

Historic Maps

Native American Tech - CD's and DVD's

Native American Tech

Old West DVD's & CD's

Old West

 

                                                            Copyright 2003-Present, www.Legends of America.com